Cardiology is the branch of medicine that deals with disorders and conditions related to the heart. A Cardiologist is, therefore, a medical specialist who can diagnose and help with the treatment of heart defects and heart diseases like heart failure, coronary artery disease, electrophysiology, etc. Within cardiology, one may opt to go for a sub-specialty in echocardiography, nuclear cardiology, cardiac electrophysiology, interventional cardiology, etc.
Reasons Why You May Want to Visit a Cardiologist
Generally, people ought to get a regular check-up. Given below is a list of few other reasons one may want to visit a cardiologist:
- When visiting your general physician, the doctor might recommend that you make a visit to the cardiologist.
- If you’re experiencing any kind of a pain in your chest area, especially in the general area of your heart, you must visit a cardiologist.
- If your family has a history of heart diseases then seeking a cardiologist on a regular note is advised.
- High blood pressure or cholesterol levels can strain your heart, leading to fatal conditions that can be diagnosed by a cardiologist.
- If you smoke cigarettes or used to in the past, it’s best to visit a cardiologist. Smoking reduces your body’s ability to absorb oxygen, causing heart diseases.
Some other reasons to visit a cardiologist can be medical conditions like diabetes and preeclampsia.
Types of Cardiology
Heart health depends on a variety of factors like blood pressure, lung function, previous medical conditions, etc. There are three types of cardiology techniques that a cardiologist might use in the course of diagnosis and treatment.
1. Invasive: If the heart condition is one where the doctor will need to open up the body or work with minimally-invasive surgery for identifying or treating abnormalities of the heart structure, it is called invasive cardiology. The most common example of invasive cardiology is stenting and angioplasty.
2. Non-Invasive: If the heart condition is one that does not involve the use of fluids, needles or other instruments for insertion to identify the problem, it is called non-invasive cardiology. The most common examples of this type are heart monitors, cardiac electrophysiology, stress tests, echocardiography, etc.
3. Interventional: If the heart condition can be fixed by repairing weakened or damaged vessels, narrowed arteries or such parts of the body with the use of a catheter, it is called interventional cardiology. A catheter is a flexible tube which can be navigated in the body for making such repairs. Interventional cardiology is used to treat conditions like heart valve disease, coronary artery disease, etc.
Are Cardiologists in high demand? Is there a shortage of cardiologists in India?
Cardiology in India is a medical field which is facing a severe shortage. Recent data shows that Indian citizens are at risk of being affected by heart diseases. In such a situation, the demand for cardiologists is bound to rise. Estimates for heart patients in India stand at 30 million, but cardiology in India is not a very popular field among medical aspirants.
A report by Indian Express has revealed that in 2017, 55 seats from cardiology and 104 seats in cardiovascular & thoracic surgery went empty out of 1,907 seats in super-specialty medicine. This shows that the future of cardiology in India lies in danger. This is especially alarming since India is home to patients who are at high risk of heart diseases. There is a high demand for cardiologists in India when one looks at the figures of the patients.
How much does a cardiologist make?
Both in India and abroad, Cardiologists can earn in good numbers. In2018, the average salary for cardiologist ranged between $335,841 and $504,458. In India, the average salary for cardiologists differs, depending on work experience, kind of establishment and the hours one puts in. Salary ranges between INR 40,000 to 50,000 for trainees. Average salary for senior cardiologists is between INR 1,50,000 to 2,50,000.
How to become a cardiologist in India?
The most basic requirement for becoming a cardiologist begins in the school itself. In the context of Indian education, a student must complete his higher secondary in the medical stream, that is, with Physics, Chemistry and Biology subjects. The next step is to pursue a bachelor’s degree in medicine, commonly known as MBBS. For post-graduate education, a student must opt for Doctor of Medicine, commonly known as MD, which takes three years, in general medicine. The last step is to complete the super specialty course of DM in cardiology. Once these qualifications are attained, one’s studies to become a cardiologist in India are complete. The entire education can take up to 10 years.
Is it difficult to get a cardiology seat in India?
Higher education in medicine is very difficult. The seats are limited and the aspirants many. Further, the necessary qualification, academic performance, and work experience can be daunting. Demand for cardiologists is high and the field is coveted, so aspirants must be exceptional. All over India, there are only 395 seats. While most institutions do not openly advertise, some aspirants can join through the management quota, upon the payment of fees. However, the fees here are exorbitant.
Fellowship in Non-Invasive Cardiology from Texila American University
A Fellowship in Non-Invasive Cardiology is one of the most coveted programs in the entire medical community. Texila American University is among the best destinations for all pursuing cardiology in India or abroad. The program is designed to give students both theoretical as well as practical knowledge.
The students spend 2 years in college and graduate with hands-on work experience with renowned hospitals from around the country, who also offer them attractive stipends. The University has tie-ups with universities and hospitals from beyond Indian borders as well, allowing the students to experience global education. At Texila, the administration understands the motivations of students. The fee structures are among the most affordable and pocket-friendly, without compromising on quality or the education. With Texila American University, you can be assured of an experience of a lifetime, where everyone emerges as a leader in their field.
Cardiology is one of the most important branches of medicine. Unfortunately, it is one that is facing a severe shortage of staff. While the education and process of becoming a cardiologist can be daunting, this is one of the most rewarding fields, allowing you to save a human life. Heart diseases are on the rise in India and so is the demand for cardiologists. With an education in non-invasive cardiology from Texila American University, students emerge as leaders in the field of cardiology in India, as well as beyond the borders.