An IQ (Intelligence Quotient) is a score to determine the intelligence level of a person by conducting several standardized tests.
This IQ test uses a wide variety of methods. Tests would be of visual, verbal, some tests only use of abstract-reasoning problems and some tests concentrate on arithmetic, spatial imagery, reading, vocabulary, memory or general knowledge.
What does IQ mean?
An IQ tells you what your score is on a particular intelligence test, compared to your age-group. The test has a mean score of 100 points and a standard deviation of 15 points. What does this standard deviation mean? It means that 68 percent of the population score an IQ within the interval 85-115. And that 95 percent of the population scores within the interval 70-130.
What does it mean when your IQ is 100? That means that half of the population scores higher than you. The other half scores lower than you.
And what does it mean when you have an IQ of 130? That means that 97,5 percent of your age group scores lower than you. Only 2, 5 percent scores higher.
An easy way to interpret an IQ is to use the following rules:
A score that is no more than one standard deviation (=15) away from 100, can be interpreted as a normal score.
A score that is between one and two standard deviations away from 100 can be interpreted as low (70-85) or high (115-130).
A score that is more than two standard deviations away from 100, can be interpreted as very low (lower than 70) or very high (higher than 130).
IQ LEVEL CHART
|Intelligence Interval||Cognitive Designation|
|40 – 54||Severely challenged (Less than 1% of test-takers)|
|55 – 69||Challenged (2.3% of test-takers)|
|70 – 84||Below average|
|85 – 114||Average (68% of test-takers)|
|115 – 129||Above average|
|130 – 144||Gifted (2.3% of test-takers)|
|145 – 159||Genius (Less than 1% of test-takers)|
|160 – 175||Extraordinary genius|
Some Intelligent People in the world
1. William James Sidis with an IQ ranging 200 to 300
2. Engineer Philip Emeagwali with an IQ of 190
3. World Chess Champion Garry Kasparov with an IQ of 190
4. Sir Isaac Newton with an IQ of 190
5. Francois-Marie Arouet (Voltaire) with an IQ 190
6. Ludwig Wittgenstein with an IQ 190
7. Leonardo da Vinci with an IQ of 180
8. Actor James Woods with an IQ of 180
9. Buonarroti Michelangelo with an IQ of 180
10. David Hume with an IQ 180
11. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu with an IQ of 180
12. Blaise Pascal with an IQ of 171
13. Microsoft Founder Paul Allen with an IQ of 160
14. Martin Luther with an IQ of 170
15. Michael Faraday with an IQ of 170
16. Galileo Galilei with an IQ of 165
17. Albert Einstein with an IQ of 160
18. Charles Darwin with IQ of 150
19. George Washington with an IQ of 140
To check your IQ level, visit: